A properly functioning filter for a chemical process is usually one that has been carefully selected. Collecting the right information for a new filter assembly (housing and filters) lays the groundwork for all involved to thoroughly understand requirements.
Delta Pure Filtration has prepared a questionnaire to help with the filter selection process. Preparing answers to these questions will help you to get the right recommendation and pricing from your supplier, will significantly speed-up the quoting process, and might even provide you important new insights into your own process.
TIP: Special filter vessels can often take a few months to design and fabricate, so it is best to plan ahead and order as early as possible.
- Your name and contact information:
- Project Information: What is the name of the project? What is the name and location of the plant?
- What is the timing of this project? (Approval, Ordering, required delivery, installation, startup?)
- What does the budget approval process entail? Do you have approval already?
- Fluid information: What is the fluid? What viscosity and density?
- Type of application: What is the application, and what is the name of the process?
- Purpose of filtration: What is being protected? What fluid purity standard is required? What issues do you have when the fluid is not filtered properly?
- Will you assess fluid cleanliness? If so, how, and by what standards?
- Is this a batch or continuous process? If it is batch what is the size, frequency of operation, etc.?
- What is known about the dirt load? Please provide details (types of contaminants, particle sizes, weights, concentrations etc.)
- Describe your current experience: What equipment is being used? What problems arise? What improvements are you looking for? What do you like or dislike about your current process?
- What is your process flow rate? (Min, Max, Average)
- What future capacity (flow) changes do you anticipate?
- What type of pressures are involved? Minimum? Maximum? Operating? Design?
- What is the maximum allowable pressure drop?
- What temperatures are you working with? Minimum? Maximum? Operating? Design?
- Please provide a process schematic. What is upstream and downstream of the filter stage?
- What Micron rating do you need? Why have you selected this micron rating?
- What % efficiency do you require?
- What type of end fitting do you prefer (DOE, SOE with 222 O-ring, etc.)?
- What are your preferred filter materials?
- What type of seal materials do you need?
4) Filter Housings
- What is the line size?
- What type of connections (inlet/outlet)?
- What types of vents/drains, gage ports etc. are needed?
- What materials do you require? What materials are you using on piping and other equipment?
- What certifications or standards are required (e.g., ASME)?
- What seal material is required? What seals are you using elsewhere in the process (e.g., Flexitallic)?
- What is the location of the housing (indoor, outdoor, etc.) ?
- Are there any space/ergonomic/height limits or other environmental requirements?
- What other requirements do you have (davit, swing bolts, lifting lugs, etc.)?
- What type of flow pattern is needed? Can you provide a rough sketch?